It also is estimated that 143 lives may be saved this Labor Day holiday period by buckling up, and an additional 99 lives could be saved if all wore seat belts.
Be safe this Labor Day weekend. Do not drink and drive or get in a car with someone who has been drinking. Be smart, be safe! The Labor Day holiday should be filled with fun and relaxation, not flashing lights and tragedy.
To ensure a safer Labor Day holiday weekend, NSC recommends drivers:
- Refrain from using cell phones – handheld or hands-free – because there is no safe way to use a cell phone while driving. Join the movement…. #ItCanWait
- Do not manipulate in-vehicle infotainment systems or electronic devices, including GPS systems, while the vehicle is in motion
- Make sure all passengers are buckled up and children are in safety seats appropriate for their age and size.
- Allow plenty of travel time to avoid frustration and diminish the impulse to speed
- Drive defensively and exercise caution, especially during inclement weather
- Designate a non-drinking driver or plan for alternative transportation, such as a taxi