I am sure you have seen newspaper headlines that have read astronomical verdicts for medical malpractice cases in recent years. $40 Million, 77 Million…even verdicts that exceed $100 Million. This has led many of you to think “How is that possible?”, “I’ll get injured if it means I can get that kind of money”, or “that’s unfair.”. It’s important to point out a few important facts and variables regarding these cases.
First, anyone who is severely injured enough to warrant a high verdict would trade all the money to have their health back. Ask any paraplegic what he would give to be able to walk again.
Second, here is a sample breakdown of a recent birth injury verdict:
The jury in this case returned a huge verdict of $77 Million to be apportioned as follows:
- $3 million for past pain and suffering
- $6.1 million for future medical costs
- $40 million for future cost of custodial and residential care
- $3.1 million for future cost of rehabilitation
- $20 million for future pain and suffering
- $4.9 million for future lost earnings