1) Drivers are more aggressive
2) Long Island roads are unsafe.
Robert Sinclair, spokesman for AAA New York said “The Southern State Parkway is the exemplar of the poorly engineered roads typical of our area. It’s lanes are too narrow, the road is too twisty and too hilly. The on and off ramps are too short to allow for adequate acceleration and braking.”
The Southern State Parkway is more deadly than the other state parkways in the county according to the fatal crash database maintained by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Long Island Fatal Car Accident Statistics between 2008-2010
- Southern State Parkway: 15 fatal accidents
- Wantagh Parkway: 13 fatal accidents
- Northern State Parkway: 8 fatal accidents
- Meadowbrook Parkway: 6 fatal accidents