Once a virtual epidemic, this type of injury is now less common thanks to trial lawyers and laws that require landlords to “abate” the lead paint condition in their buildings. “Abate” means to eliminate the risk from flaking and chipping paint which, in the old days, contained lead. New paint for apartment walls no longer contains lead. The problem is, however, that many of the older apartments have multiple coats of lead paint from years ago still on the walls. This can case injury.
Lead paint is dangerous to children. Why is that? Primarily because babies have been known to eat (and certainly breathe) the lead paint chips as the paint flakes off the walls and sills of the apartment or, in some cases, becomes airborne in the form of fine lead paint “dust”.
Lead tastes sweet to a child. It is very toxic, however, and causes lasting and permanent brain damage with all the problems of behavior and learning disability that goes with brain damage of this nature. Often, a neuropsychologist (medical specialist) is needed to measure and test this problem. These cases often result in catastrophic injuries because they seriously damage a child for his entire life.
This office has many years of experience dealing with these cases. Call us if you suspect your child has a lead paint injury, or if he or she has a learning disability and was exposed to lead paint.