SAFETY TIPS: When an how to properly move to the side of the road.
- Never pull over on an interstate unless it is a true emergency
- Stay calm, activate your hazard lights, and move the vehicle to the side of the road as far as it can go
- It’s safer to be on the right shoulder than the left
- Call roadside assistance
- Don’t get out of your car if you can help it
- Do no attempt to change a tire in an unsafe location. Changing a driver-side tire on the right shoulder, just a few feet from cars and trucks going 75 mph, is not safe.
- It’s always better to move – even if is slowly – to a safer spot, like a parking lot